Thursday, February 21, 2008

Thursday, February 21

Last night there was a full eclipse of the moon visible between 8 pm and 11 pm. I could see it clearly out of the window, or standing on the deck. Rusy red as the earth's shadow covered the moon slowly. The stars were incredibly bright here in the country and away from light pollution. Bright stars, and a full moon. A rare sight. At one point I went to the end of the driveway, where I can see most of the sky and stood looking up at it in wonder -- until the windchill of - 26 started settling into my bones and I hurried in, slipping on the icy area round the steps and falling on my bad knee. No permanent damage..

Ever since last week's snow and rain the driveway has been a sheet of ice. Luckily a small covering of snow makes it passable -- as long as you look where you are going and are very careful. This morning when I got up about 6.30 am I could see both the setting moon and the rosy glow in the sky indicating the sun was about to rise. When Bill and went for the paper half and hour later, the moon had set in the wes and a deep red globe had risen in the east. And it is cold!

1 comment:

Hilary Barrett said...

To wake up in the middle of the night to find I am freezing cold, because the patio door is open and someone is outside peering around and raving about stars and the moon - which have been there since God created the earth -- Some people!
Bill Barrett, McDonalds Corners